Other wise known as Iron ways. Via ferratas are hitting the mountains by storm throughout the Alps and the Pyrenees. Here in Andorra Via Ferratas are free to use, however it does require some equipment which is easily rented in shops in the area. What’s required?? Harness, Helmet, Y bungy Lanyard and a good pair of walking shoes. Andorra hosts 16 in a range of different levels.
How does it work?? A blank mountain wall covered with ladder rungs, bolts, chains, bridges and cables. The Y lanyard is attached to your harness, and the other two ends are attached to the cable with lockable carabiners. As you make your way up the face of the mountain you continue to transfer your safety lanyard one carabiner at a time onto the cable as you pass the anchor bolts which attaches the cable to the mountain side.
Why do it?? Why not?? leave your fear of heights at home. Some sections aren’t for the faint hearted. However, Via ferratas are classified in levels, which are according to the vertical ascent and the complexity of the route. There are always some in the area for beginner level and some easy enough for children to do. Once you have reached the top, you have a nice walk back down following a footpath, on occasions the walk down is as steep as the walk up. There is an option to go with a guide which is highly recommended especially if you are attempting it for the first time or with children. However if you have some or little experience in the outdoors or climbing it is possible to go alone. No matter how many times you do them, there is always a feeling of accomplishment.
Our modern apartment hosts up to 10 guests. The apartment has spectacular views either of the Village, the river and mountains of the Coma Pedrosa national park, including the highest peak in Andorra. There is free Wifi throughout the apartment.
The apartment includes:
- 4 twin/double bedroom, with closet space and window/terrace. Either with en-suite or a private bathroom.
- 1 sofa bed.
- Plasma screen TV box for local channels and a few international stations.
- Fully fitted kitchen with oven, hob, microwave, kettle, toaster, coffee machine, juicer, pots and pans, and all the necessary utensils required for cooking and meals
- Dining table for 10 people
- Living room with large windows to take in the spectacular view, Large balcony, sofa, chairs, a Mezzanine floor with sofa bed and games, and ambient lighting.
Additional services on offer at the apartment (costs may apply):
- Tour operator services. Transfers, excursions, car hire, ski school lessons, lift passes and much more can be booked here
- Packed lunches
- Pre-arrival shopping list
- Garage space for bikes and equipment
- Laundry service
- Free use of tennis rackets and balls to use at the village tennis court